Chromecast Audio

I'm an Apple guy. I have enough Apple hardware around my house to serve as a mini-museum and I use Apple's software and services every single day. But when Google makes something interesting like Chromecast Audio, I can't help but want to try out the new toy.

Sold for just $35 (Google Store, Best Buy), Chromecast Audio lets you stream audio over the Internet from services like Spotify and NPR to old speakers. This varies from Apple's AirPlay in that audio streams directly to the Chromecast Audio rather than from device to device, using your iPhone or iPad only as the remote. In practice, Chromecast Audio is most similar to Sonos, but with Google's accessory selling at a much lower, irresistible price as it relies on your existing speakers rather than all-in-one units.

So what exactly is Chromecast Audio and what can it do? Read on for details... Read more of this post